Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Art or design class thoughts.

Been going to design class for the better part of 5 weeks now and have to admit it is disheartening. As someone that gave up art (or better yet had art/creativity beat out of him due to the military) it was very exciting at first to show off my talents in a classroom setting. But as the class has progressed, an old internal debate of artists vs fakers seems to have arisen.

A faker is someone that has no talent, but attempts art and calls themself an artist. This person may make convincing art, but to talented people who know better, it is not art and is the artistic equivalent of tracing. Someone that if you gave a pencil and a piece of paper, locked them in the room and said to create art, would not know what to do.

An artist is someone that is incredibly humble, does not call themselves an artist (as that is a title that is bestowed upon you by others), and has talent. They've learned on their own how to craft their trade initially and have fine-tuned their abilities. They can create something out of nothing, meaning out of their mind without looking at anything, or can recreate scenes/people in their own fashion. But most importantly, they are not Xerox machines.

Though I have been creating several pieces for this class that, in my opinion, have ranked high in artistic skills, each piece has been verbally destroyed by the instructor. The biggest faker in the class, however, has been getting praise left and right. It has been very hard and at times I have felt depressed. Just getting back into art after about 10 years and to have another soul stamping art teacher, like Ms. Buck, is enough to make me abandon it again.

But I know I have talent. The old man nurtured that talent and I feel the need to continue to explore it. In the mean time, I have to endure the abusive relationship that is art/design class. Just have to take it and keep my mouth closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment