Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sad day at the speedway

Didn't expect my first Indycar race to go like it did today. Race was barely minutes long when almost half of the field got taken out:



Very different being there than seeing it on TV. Very surreal. Drivers were just getting into their groove and I was going to start timing some laps for myself with my phone, when the accident occurred. Everybody in the grandstands stood up after the first hit, expecting the normal crash, but one car after another kept getting hit. It was a pure holy shit moment. Of all the years I remember watching the old Indy series with Dad growing up, I don't ever recall a crash as bad as this one.

After being taken by MercyAir downtown, Dan Wheldon was announced dead 2 hours into the red flag. Here are my meager clips for austerity:



There's not much else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment